Seeing a Corrective Chiropractor
Many people turn to chiropractic care for help with health-related issues like fatigue, discomfort, pain, or other run of the mill symptoms. Chiropractors can effectively address these common issues since – due to their holistic approach – they see the whole human body as an interconnected system. In general, chiropractors use a wide variety of chiropractic treatment options in order to address the patient’s needs. One of these options is corrective care, which is often used by certified corrective chiropractors to improve the patient’s health and overall well-being.
Today, we will discuss corrective chiropractic care in-depth so that you will know how this kind of care differs from traditional chiropractic care. Plus, you will also get an idea about what to expect when seeing a corrective chiropractor.
When You May Need to Seek Corrective Care
Corrective care is a special chiropractic approach that has its main focus on providing proper alignment and balance to your spine. Since your spine is one of the most important parts of your body, it is easy to understand why promoting good spine health is crucial for your overall health. Your spine protects your spinal cord, which is basically a column of nerves that serves as a highway for communication between your brain and the other parts of your body. Therefore, if your spine sustains an injury or is misaligned, it can cause serious problems in your health due to impaired neural energy and integrity.
Most people decide on seeing a corrective chiropractor when they experience the following health issues:
- low back pain
- neck pain
- spine misalignment
- brain fog
- chronic pain
- acute pain
- weakened immune system
However, there are many other cases when corrective care may be beneficial for you. If you are not sure that this is the care you need, it is best to contact a chiropractor who can give you guidance regarding your health concerns.
An Underlying Health Issue: Spine Misalignment
When reviewing the list of reasons to seek chiropractic care above, the most common underlying issue is most often related to spine misalignment. In fact, the misalignment of the spine is a common root issue that can cause various health-related problems from poor nerve flow. Thus, getting treatment for spine misalignment and restoring optimal proper balance of the spine is very important when it comes to your health.
If you are wondering what can lead to spine misalignment, here is a list of the most common causes:
- lack of activity
- spending too much time sitting
- overuse (doing one particular movement over and over again)
- faulty movement mechanics
- poor posture
- being overweight or obese
- injuries such as sports injuries, or vehicle accidents
- poor general health
As you can see from this list, our lifestyle can play a significant role in the onset of spine misalignment.
What Makes Corrective Care Different from Traditional Chiropractic Care?
Usually, traditional chiropractors focus on a particular segment of the body or the spine and that is causing your symptoms (for example, neck pain or back pain). Then, they use one or more chiropractic treatment options to better manage and reduce the current symptoms you are experiencing, such as pain. This way, the patient can get relatively quick relief from their symptoms. However, since the focus is on remediating symptoms only, it often means the results are only a temporary fix for the patient.
On the other hand, instead of simply addressing the symptoms, corrective chiropractors see the bigger picture and pay special attention to the structural changes of the spine. They know that very often even a subtle change in the curvature of the spine can cause various health problems in other areas of the body. This is why it’s so common that traditional chiropractors only take X-rays of the area that is affected by the pain symptoms. On the other hand, corrective chiropractors may take an X-ray of each and thoroughly segment of the spine to see whether any abnormalities can be found in your spine that can ultimately be the root cause of your health issues.
The main advantage of corrective care is that it can offer you a sustainable recovery by addressing the root cause of your complaints. Thus, your symptoms are less likely to keep coming back.
The Potential Health Benefits of Good Spine Alignment
Seeing how important spine health is, it’s time to learn more about the potential health benefits of corrective care and good spine alignment. Since everyone’s case is different, the benefits you can experience will depend on your body and current health state. However, most likely you will gain more benefits than you have ever thought about. This is because corrective care approaches all your health issues holistically for the best results possible.
Just to give you an idea about what kind of benefits you can expect from better spine alignment, here is a potential list:
- Improved blood pressure
- Better ability to heal naturally due to the optimized nerve supply within the body
- Shorter recovery time
- Improved immunity
- Better sleeping habits
- More energy
- Enhanced athletic performance
- Better mood
- Improved concentration and focus
- Better organ function
- Increase in the quality of life
- Less pressure on nerves within the spine, particularly in the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine
- Prevention of injuries and chronic diseases
- Better management of chronic pain
- And more…!
Choosing corrective care for your health issues can definitely bring you some great benefits. Consider finding a chiropractor who specializes in corrective care so you can get the right care when addressing spine misalignment. In case you live in Grand Rapids, MI, the team at Advanced Spine and Rehab is ready to get you scheduled for a consultation to see what the potential benefits are in regards to your health.
Why Chiropractic BioPhysics
Ultimately, everyone who goes through rigorous education and training to become a chiropractor is an expert in spine health. However, if someone wants to become the ultimate expert in spine alignment, they typically enroll in additional training programs, such as Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP). CBP is one of the best science-based protocols out there for treating spine misalignment with long-lasting results. A chiropractor who holds a certification in CBP is trained to notice any changes in the curvature of the spine and sustainably and safely address it.
By now, you understand why seeking corrective care from a CBP-certified chiropractor can provide you the best care for your spine-related health problems (whether you realize it’s the issue or not). When visiting a CBP provider, your chiropractor may use one or more treatment techniques to improve your spine health and restore your proper spine alignment. Some of them may seem familiar to you since they are often used by traditional chiropractors as well. However, what makes CBP care special is that CBP practitioners combine the various treatment options with extensive education and follow rigorously tested spine alignment protocols. This is why CBP can take your recovery to a whole new level.
Here are some of the treatment techniques that may be used by your chiropractor:
- Manual therapy: It may include soft tissue massage that can help you get immediate pain relief and reduce stiffness of the connective tissues. It can also help you better tolerate further treatments without the need to suffer from pain.
- Pain modalities: Chiropractors use multiple pain modalities such as ultrasound, light therapy, temperature therapy (ice packs, heating pads), and electrical stimulation to relieve pain in the short term.
- Spinal decompression therapy: It very often includes stretches, the use of a traction table or a motorized device, and adjustments.
- Spine adjustments: Your chiropractor may do adjustments to your spine in order to promote better nerve integrity and blood flow, improve spine alignment, and increase mobility.
- Education: Your chiropractor can help you to understand which factors played a role in the onset of your health issue. This knowledge may be beneficial for you to improve your health and prevent future health problems.
- Lifestyle recommendations: Changing your lifestyle can help you unlock your health potential. Therefore, chiropractors often give lifestyle recommendations concerning stress management, exercise, diet, and sleeping habits.
- Posture training: Posture training can help you improve your spine alignment in the long run.
- Exercise training: Specific exercises can do a lot for restoring your muscle balance and improving the alignment of your spine.
- Maintenance: Regular checkups at your chiropractor can reduce the risks of flares-ups and future injuries.
- Referrals: Depending on your situation, your chiropractor can refer you to other medical professionals as needed.
Find a CBP Provider and Enjoy the Health Benefits
Chances are that you can gain many health benefits from corrective chiropractic care. Whether you are suffering from some unpleasant symptoms or you would like to prevent future health issues, it’s time to look for a CBP provider close to you. Although CBP-certified chiropractors are in high demand, most likely you will be able to find a provider in your area with some searching.
If you are near Grand Rapids, MI, the entire team at Advanced Spine and Rehab is certified in CBP. Regardless of your health issues, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our office to schedule an appointment. During an initial consultation, we can discuss how we can help you reach your health goals and whether corrective chiropractic care fits your needs. After that, we can create a customized treatment plan together for you that will help you relieve your symptoms and get back to your life free of pain and dysfunction as soon as possible.